6.06.2012

Tutorial: Father's Day Cassette Tape Card

Normally, I go for the super fast and simple crafts. Then there are times when I get an idea in my head and have an end point in mind, but not exactly sure how I'm going to get there.

This Father's Day cassette tape card was one of those ideas and I had loads of fun making it:

Cassette Tape Card for Father's Day

Even though we don't have a workable cassette player easily accessible, I had to say goodbye to my long-forgotten-from-the-80s-hair-band KIX single "Don't Close Your Eyes" and tore out the cassette's ribbon in the name of love (and you'll see why soon).


This is how I made it:

Supplies:

Glue Dots© (Pop Up, Ultra-Thin, Micro)
old cassette tape and case
white & yellow cardstock (DCWV)
red decorative cardstock (Simple Stories 100 Days of Summer)
diecuts (Creative Imaginations "Super Hero")
hole punches
letter stickers (Cosmo Cricket)
black pen
word processor


1. Cut and score white cardstock according to cassette card panel template: tail 1", spine .5", front cover 2.5625", 1 extra panel 2.5", 2nd extra panel 2.4375", width 4". (Note: I didn't download the template, but used approximate measurements.)

2. Decorate the outside of the card with diecuts, letter stickers, doodled children and strips of text made from a word processor. Attach to the card using Ultra-Thin and Micro Glue Dots©. Outline the elements with black pen if desired. Set aside.

Cassette Card Panel: Outside

The front cover, spine and tail:


The first extra panel:


And the second extra panel:


3. Create a paper cassette tape using the red and white cardstock, hole punches, star diecuts and black pen. Use an old cassette tape as a guide. Adhere all the elements together using Ultra-Thin Glue Dots© and add dimension to the bottom piece of cassette using Pop Up Glue Dots©. Set aside.

Handmade Paper Cassette Tape

4. Remove the ribbon from the cassette tape and cut two strips. Attach both to the inside of the card (opposite side of the front cover) and take the strips down to the bottom panel. Form the inside strip into the word "love" using Micro Glue Dots© as you go along. Repeat with the outside strip to make the word "you".


5. Attach the paper cassette tape to the top panel with Ultra-Thin Glue Dots©. Decorate with additional star diecuts. Fold and insert into cassette case.

Cassette Card Panel: Inside

I was so pleased with myself after making the card that I couldn't wait until Father's Day to show my husband. Now, my oldest daughter wants a card like this one too and she pointed out that I didn't put glasses on her doodled self. Oh boy!...or maybe it should be, Oh girl! ~Danielle

P.S. I HAD to Google "KIX" and found the song! Listen here.

Additional Glue Dots Tutorials:

Memorial Day/4th of July Flag Centerpiece
Upcycled Flower Carrier
Recycle Summer Party Invitations

Disclosure: This blog post was written while participating on the Glue Dots design team.