12.15.2011

Day 9 of 12 Days of Eco-Christmas: Melted record bowl gift basket

It's Day 9 of 12 Days of Eco-Christmas and I'm sharing a project that's been on my to-do list for months...melted record bowls! That's right! I snagged a stack of records from my dad (with his permission, of course), headed to a second-hand store for metal bowls and made these:

Melted Record Bowls

How to melt records:

1. Wash records with soap and water. Dry.

2. Preheat oven to 200 degrees.

3. Place an upside-down metal (or glass) bowl on a cookie sheet, center the record on top and stick in oven.

4. Wait approximately 4-6 minutes for the record to melt and become floppy.

5. Remove from oven and allow to cool like I did with this record:


OR slide a larger (metal/glass) bowl over the record and let cool a few minutes before removing the bowl for results like this:


I have to give credit to the Green Bean's Crafterole blog for showing me how to melt records. Click here to see a full tutorial with plenty of photos.

You can make a set of record bowls to give as a gift this holiday season or take it a step further and shred paper (basket stuffing idea from Almost Never Clever) for a record bowl gift basket.

I shredded packaging paper that was boxed up with my recent MemoryWorks order.

Just add goodies, maybe a gift tag out of old greeting cards and you're ready to pass on a unique gift basket to a friend or loved one.  Stay tuned for Day 10 on Monday!