10.02.2013

4 Examples of Minimalist Scrapbooking

You don't need a long list of supplies to create an eye-catching scrapbook layout. When I'm perusing scrapbook layouts on Pinterest or Flickr, I tend to gravitate toward the ones with a lot of "white space" or minimal supplies. I like to put those pages into a category called minimalist scrapbooking.

I spoke briefly about minimalist scrapbooking in last week's post. Today, we'll look at four example layouts using minimal supplies.

One way to reduce the amount of supplies is to downsize layout size. Instead of always scrapbooking 12x12 pages, try making more 8.5x11 or 6x6 albums.

A plain sheet of 8.5x11 cardstock, washi tape, paper scraps and a few embellishments highlight this photo of the tablet I bought myself last Christmas:


"Tab" Supplies: FSC-Certified white cardstock, red scrap paper, Bo Bunny stickers, washi tape, Craftwork Cards Candi, black ink, Instagram photo.

Another scrapbook starting point with plain cardstock includes plenty of white space:


"What Happened to It?" Supplies: FSC-Certified white cardstock, CTMH cork arrows, Echo Park letter stickers, Instagram photo.

Many times, designers do most of the work for you and create an almost-finished look to decorative paper, making scrapbooking easy and less time consuming. I added a photo, washi tape, a few stickers and stitches to this scrapbook layout:


"Preschool" Supplies: Basic Grey decorative paper, cardstock, preschool-themed stickers, washi tape, thread, one photo. 

Here's another 8.5x11 scrapbook layout using decorative paper that's almost ready to go. It even includes a title:


"You Make Life Beautiful" Supplies: DCWV (I think) decorative cardstock, ink, two Instagram photos. Note: I trimmed 12x12 cardstock to create the 8.5x11 page, used circle scraps from the leftover strips behind the photos. The music note strips behind the photos where scraps from another sheet of decorative cardstock. I added lines for the journaling.

Read a more in depth discussion about minimalist scrapbooking by Zaira Sierra in her chapter of EcoScrapbooking: Crafty Ideas for Eco-Conscious Scrapbookers. Also, check out Zaira's new blog here with a featured layout by me. ~Danielle

Related:

Scrapbooker Saturday: Zaira
Fast Scrapbooking: Making Time for a Quickie and Where I Do It
Video: Organizing Paper Scraps