4.23.2015

Earth Day Projects: Homemade Cleaners & Dryer Sheets

Earth Day was yesterday, but I'm celebrating every day this week! I was out of dryer sheets and all-purpose cleaning spray and I've been wanting to make my own for some time. Since it was Earth Day, I decided it was finally time to do just that!

First up, homemade AND reusable dryer sponges:


Supplies:

 1 c dye free fabric softener
2 c water
4 sponges
old container
measuring cups
scissors

Directions: Mix together fabric softener and water. Cut sponges into thirds and place into container. Pour liquid mixture over the sponges, cover with lid and let soak for a few hours. Remove each sponge and squeeze out the excess water. Let each sponge dry before adding to dryer and replace into the liquid mix after each load of laundry. Keep the liquid mix sealed and you can reuse it over and over. 

I've only tried the dryer sponge with one load of towels and so far, so good! I used a blue sponge since I was worried about possible color transfer, but there was none.

Now it was time to make an all-purpose cleaner:


Supplies:

spray bottle
measuring cups
2 c hot water
1 c vinegar
1 ts dish soap
1/2 ts baking soda
2 tb borax


Directions: Mix together hot water and vinegar. Add in the rest of the ingredients. Stir and pour into a spray bottle. 

I ended up with a little extra cleaning solution that couldn't fit into the bottle and used it to do some quick cleaning. No complaints. I think I like it!

Finally, a project I've shared before, laundry soap:


Supplies:

large container
4 c baking soda
3 c washing soda
1 bar castile soap
cheese grater

Directions: Grate the bar of soap into the smallest pieces you can. Add in the baking and washing sodas and stir together. Use about 2 tablespoons per load.

We really liked using this laundry soap, but since it takes a long time to grate the soap, it's often quicker to run to the store when I need detergent. However, I like having this option and plan to make it again soon since I have all the ingredients from the other cleaning recipes. ~Danielle

Make these other Earth Day projects: